Drawing with the spline tool
In some cases using the pencil tool is not convenient. Cases include places where there are unhealed holes in the mesh and places where individual points need to be places in close proximity to one another in an irregular pattern. Any drawing will likely involve both the pencil and spline tools.
THE SPLINE TOOL
NAVIGATE WITH THE SPLINE TOOL
Fig. 32: Drawing a spline on a mesh.
RENDERING DURING NAVIGATION
CHECK SPLINE ALIGNMENT
ADD MORE SPLINE SEGMENTS
SPLINE TOOL VS. PENCIL TOOL
The Spline Tool
-Advantages: Using the spline tool you can place vertices in meaningful locations and have more control over the form of the final vector.
-Disadvantages: This method is slower than using the pencil tool and requires frequent navigation in the point cloud to ensure you are picking good points for vertex placement.
The Pencil tool
-Advantages: Significantly faster drawing and snapping to faces on the mesh, continuous point generation.
-Disadvantages: If there are holes in your mesh, the vector created by the pencil can more easily ‘fall through’ those holes, creating wild loops.
Then select the Text button.
Left click at the desired location to insert the text. Adjust options for size and font as desired.
n.b. The Rapidform freeviewer provides more flexible options for inserting annotations. It may be preferable to complete this step of the process using the freeviewer. More information on annotating models can be found in the Rapidform Freeviewer workflow.
Fig. 37: Adding text annotations.
You are reading the series: Digitizing Archaeological Features in Rapidform
- Rapidform: Basic Digitizing of archaeological features from scan data; Annotated 3D models
- Basic Digitizing of archaeological features from scan data in Rapidform: Sections, Profiles, Plans and Elevations
- Rapidform: Basic Workflow to start a digitizing project Part 1
- Subsetting and Decimating Meshes in Rapidform XOR
- Rapidform: Basic Workflow to start a digitizing project Part 2
- Rapidform: Mesh Cleaning
- Comparing 3D models in Rapidform
- Rapidform: Digitizing Using the Pencil Tool
- Rapidform: Digitizing Using the Spline Tool